Monday, October 19, 2009

Pulsing koru




This was the first attempt at animating kowhaiwhai with DEA.




16/10/09

Yesterday I learned how to use the computer software, ‘Solidworks’. I can use ‘Illustrator’ well enough but this seems to be a more difficult programme. I can use the programme for visualising and simulating a machine. This will be a very helpful tool. The Biomimetics Lab has its own lasercutter. Tocky taught me how to make a frame and cut it on the lasercutter.

Today, I tried making my own frames on the lasercutter using ‘Solidworks’. There are alot of things to remember. The most important rule is that all lines must have a relationship to one another. If I don’t establish a relationship between lines (ie. this line is parallel to this line) when I want to move a shape I have made, the shape won’t necessarily stay intact. However, with some coaching, I made 10 square frames.

I stretched 5 frames. Is it too early to say I have got the hang of it? Yes maybe. But at least now I think I can correct my mistakes while stretching before it’s too late and I lose the VHB to tearing. I need to come up with a better method of cutting the excess VHB from the frames. Not only are my edges really messy but the torn edges will decrease the life of the work.

I painted two koru designs free hand on one of the frames. My mini easel idea kept my hands free for painting. I then cut a mask out of the VHB backing tape. This means I can paint quickly over the whole membrane then quickly tear the backing tape away to reveal a clean picture. This is a great method except the backing tape is small. If I want to make larger frames I will need to find a masking material that can come in a larger sheet and will peel away easily from the sticky membrane.

The two koru worked well. See the vid. Tocky suggested to only paint parts of one side of the frame so the shrinkage and expansion can occur only in the parts of the design that I choose. This sounds cool. To be continued.

-KatyPie

No comments:

Post a Comment