Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Questions

Several weeks ago our team was lucky enough to be invited to participate in a television show on Maori TV. The show is called 411 and it investigates science and technology stories from around New Zealand. For me, it was a nerve racking experience being filmed and asked a lot of questions. I tend to freeze and then once I am thawed out, I ramble! As tense and stressful as it was for me, it was also great to have 'outsiders' come into the lab and see our work. It was nice to see the crew's reactions to what we are doing. Here are some of the questions I was sent before filming that day:


Questions for Katy:
- Where did the idea for the project come from?
Kit contacted me through his sister in law, my friend. He was looking for an artist to collaborate on this Smash Palace project funding he had found. We met several times, discussed what we do etc. We like what the other person had to offer and so then Kit started showing me what type of robotic scientific things were possible. I latched onto the EAP thing pretty fast because the YouTube clips were pretty exciting. When we knew that was the direction we were interested in moving towards, Kit got Emilio involved.
The artwork ideas have come from what I do and how we could involve my ideas together with the technology.

- What benefits does technology like this give you as an artist?
It allows me to use new materials I never would have considered using. It allows me to realise the dream of making the kowhaiwhai move like I have always wanted to do.

- What challenges are there in combining art and science like this?
Many. I am not very scientifically or mathematically minded. I have a creative mind. It has been quite a struggle to get my head around the ideas, the materials, and the possibilities. So many things. I have to spend a bit of time on the computer. I break a lot of the materials before I can even start painting them. Science is used to trying a million types to get the right thing. I am used to planning with things I know, like wood and plastic so I know in advance that things are going to succeed. This is not the case with combining my art with this science. There are so many failures and it makes you stronger and persevere harder when you fail. But it can be very frustrating.
Also, I need to adhere to the integrity of the art idea. The concept is important for me. I don't want to create something that is scientifically astounding if it is not going to add to or develop the concept in any way. It is a struggle for me to maintain the integrity of the concept while trying to use the technology in a different way.

- What’s been the process?
The process has been me, meeting with Toki our technician October and November, simply learning the materials, technology and the lab environment.
Now that I feel that I understand EAPs I can begin to concentrate on the art ideas more fully.

- What are you conveying through the artwork?
I feel that the artwork I create and the designs I use are beautiful. I want to see them move, and jump off a 2 dimensional surface in some way. Traditionally, kowhaiwhai was painted on rectangular rafters in meeting houses. Last century we saw kowhaiwhai and other Maori designs leaving the sanctuary of the meeting house and entering the everyday world. There is kowhaiwhai on crockery, clothing, etc being involved and appreciated outside the meeting house. I have wanted to inject colour, new materials, light, 3dimensions etc with my designs. The ultimate for me is to make the designs move and throb and pulse with a life of its own. I have always wanted to make it so much more dynamic and take it to places I never thought of before.
The designs themselves contain stories while some are abstract and open to interpretation.

- What’s in the future (for combining art/science)?
In our future we hope to make more artworks and have an exhibition. We would also like that exhibition to travel around the country. In combining these two things, we may develop some breakthroughs in the technology.
Science and art are never too far away from each other. Maybe this is a return to the old days, when in the Renaissance for instance, artists were painters, sculptors, scientists, inventors, engineers etc. all in one. This may inspire me to continue with scientific influences in my artwork.


So that was another insight into how I am getting on with the project so far. You can see me, KatyPie, and my team members Emilio and Kit on the 411 programme coming in April or May!

No comments:

Post a Comment